Sunday

Oh the Horror!! Naan, a Roach and Somebody's Coat!

So it's a Saturday night and my friend and I are craving Indian food. Normally I go to Jackson Heights to get Indian food because it's always really good and there are a number of places where you can get an all you can eat meal for $10. But, since we were in the East Village, we thought that going to Sixth street between 2nd ave and 1st ave would be a good idea. Wrong!! WRONG!!!! The Indian restaurant that we went to offered a six course prix fixe meal for $9.95. Now, even though I physically cant eat six courses, (because that's a lot of food), I still thought that this restaurant would be a good place to go and eat because of the fact that they offered six courses for $10. I should have thought that one out a little better.

The first course was some type of tomato-y mess that I didn't even bother to eat. I'm not sure what kind of soup it was, but even salt and pepper (the universal flavor fixers) could not remedy the bad taste of the soup. I wish that I could give you more detail, but I'm not really sure what I ate. All I know was that it was suppose to be some type of vegetable soup. Beyond that, it's all a mystery to me. The next course consisted of a vegetable samosa. This was actually pretty good. The outside crust was flaky and crusty, while the inside (which consisted of potatoes, peas, and other vegetables) was very moist and perfectly cooked. The samosa would be, unfortunately, the highlight of my meal. After that, it was all down hill from there.

The scrawny piece of naan* that came with my meal was the driest piece of naan I ever hope to eat. I didn't even know that naan could be that dry. And then, while I was eating some type of curry that was suppose to have chicken, lentils (which were no where to be found), and Persian spices, my friend who I was eating dinner with points to the wall and says, "look out". Now, when she said this, I thought that she was trying to point out some type of detail on the giant picture that was hanging only inches away from my face. No, no. She was pointing at the roach that was only inches away from my face. Immediately I jumped out of my seat and we called for the waiter to come over. But what was more surprising than the fact that there was a roach watching meat was the waiter's response to the situation.

When my friend and I told him happened, he immediately stated that it wasn't his fault and that the roach probably came in on someone' coat. Really? On somebody's coat? Is that the best you can do? I was kind of offended that he didn't try to come up with a better lie. And when we pointed to where the still there cucaracha was hanging out, he continued to state that it wasn't his fault an that it probable came in on someone's coat. "It could have come in on your coat," he said to my friend. "I'm not saying your coat in particular, but it could have come in on your coat." He then tried to make my friend and I pay for our entire (which, by the way some how came out to be nearly $30 even though what my friend and I ordered was totaled $20.). By that point, I was ready to throw up! Not only was the food not all that good to begin with, but the fact that there was a roach watching me while I was eating set me over the edge. The waiter only took $7 off of our bill (which brought it down to $20). He was very adamant that we pay this amount until I told him that we would pay the $20 and that we would then never come back to the restaurant. After that he completely changed his tune and said that we could pay whatever would make us happy. We paid the $20, which we shouldn't have but did because we wanted to get out, and left. From now on, I will make sure to tell everyone not to go to Taj Mahal restaurant on 6th st. between 2nd ave and 1st. ave. If you really have a craving for Indian food, wait. Wait until you can go to Jackson Heights, Queens and go to the plethora of delicious Indian restaurants that are just off of the seven line when you get off of Roosevelt Ave. Not only are these places good, but many of them are all you can eat, and they'll be sure to not have any roaches watching you while you eat. The morale of this story is: go to Jackson Heights, Queens if you want to eat good Indian food!

*want to try making your own naan, watch this video recipe for naan. Hope you're isn't as dry as mine was!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your commentary regarding your quest for Indian food at a restaurant where conditions were less than savory is good to know! This account is very descriptive, leaves a moral of the story, and has an awesome video at the end. A modern day Aesop's fable, good job...A+ (haha).